WORKSITE: Primary location – Milpitas, CA, Secondary location – Dixon
POSITION: Automative Mechanical Engineer
REPORTING TO: Installation Manager PD-6000 Team
Will design and develop mechanical systems for alternative propulsion systems. Manage multiple projects from concept to production. Design and develop schematics for mechanical components and assemble/install prototypes.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design and optimization of mechanical components for automotive powertrain systems. Components include shafts, couplings, flanges, housings, clutches, etc.
- Analysis of mechanical systems, including Finite Element analysis for structural, fatigue, thermal, vibration, and acoustics
- Analysis and specification of electro-mechanical and electro-hydraulic systems
- Develops manufacturing drawings in accordance with applicable standards
- Construct and oversee technicians in construction of developed systems
- Interfaces with outside vendors for component selection, manufacturing, and assembly
- Read and interpret blueprints, technical drawings, schematics, and computer-generated reports
- Confer with system engineers and other personnel to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, and provide technical information
- Research and analyze customer design proposals, specifications, manuals, and other data to evaluate the feasibility, cost, and maintenance requirements of designs or applications
- Specify system components or direct modification of products to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering required
- Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering desired
- 5+ yrs experience
- Autodesk Inventor and Algor preferred
- Up to 20% travel for on-site customer support at various US and world locations
PHYSICAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
This is a combination of an office position with employees working in a controlled office environment to develop mechanical designs and a hands on position managing and sometimes actively participating in the development and installation of mechanical systems on electric and hybrid-electric vehicles. The position uses a computer terminal to access, input, and retrieve data. Finger dexterity may be required to operate computer keyboard and calculator. Some physical strength required to carry equipment and tools. Some travel may require employee to lift their own luggage and walk throughout airports.