WORKSITE: Milpitas, CA
Position: Manager, Powertrain and Mechanical Systems
Reporting To: Drive System Development Director
The Manager will lead in the design and development of Powertrain Systems (Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, eg..) for electric and hybrid-electric vehicles and work with many different organizations outside of Powertrain (Purchasing, Manufacturing, Quality).
- Lead the Integration of Powertrain Systems (Engine, Transmission, and Powertrain installed commodities) on current and forward model programs
- Directly participate and work collaboratively with other Design and Release Engineers, Vehicle Program Teams, and Vehicle Assembly
- Design and develop mechanical powertrain components using Solidworks. Develop drawings and coordinate manufacturing of designed components and assemblies.
- Support in plant prototype build efforts through production builds
- Identifying, tracking & resolving engineering issues
- Supporting engineering discipline deep dive reviews including FEA, D/PFMEA.
- Lead development and validation of Powertrains through DVP&R process
- Manage the delivery of hardware to support program timing
- Ensure high technical quality of the products at competitive cost
- Develop and review program contracts, budgets, statements of work, technical proposals, and specifications.
- Develop a vision for future projects, products, and applications to help provide a competitive advantage and remain vigilant for intellectual property (IP) opportunities
- Champion low cost solutions
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, focus, and improve processes
- Masters in Mechanical Engineering
- 5 Years of Powertrain Design & Release and Systems Engineering experience
- Experience in designing systems for heavy duty trucks (class 6-8 preferred)
- Proficient in Solidworks
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Ability to support a wide variety of projects with limited resources and supervision
- Demonstrated Technical Problem Solving Skills
- Ability to establish a systems engineering approach to solving problems
- Excellent presentation skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Tools for documentation and presentation
- In depth knowledge of hybrid vehicle technologies, vehicle engineering, development and validation processes (APQP processes)
- Understanding of operations, manufacturing, procurement and quality processes
- Ability to lead, direct and empower vehicle project teams in development, review and execution of technical objectives to meet program cost, timing and requirements
- Strong team leadership and execution of program objectives to meet program cost, timing and technical requirements
- Planning, budgeting, program resource allocation, problem solving, and negotiation skills
- Thorough knowledge of FMVSS and other general vehicle requirements
- CAE/FEA software (ie.. ANSYS)
- Math software – Matlab/Simulink
- Lead in development and presentation of internal and customer technical/technology reviews, proposals and meetings
- Strong negotiator of contract terms including price, quality, delivery, warranty, etc.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Require BSME. Highly Prefer MSME
- 10 years of experience in automotive engineering including a minimum of 5 years in powertrain systems (engines, transmissions)
- 5 years of experience in engineering project leadership and management
PHYSICAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
The position is expected to have limited travel to visit current and potential suppliers and customers, both domestic and international. The position is expected to access, enter, and retrieve data by using a computer terminal. The position is expected to require hands-on management/use of laboratory test and production equipment. Some lifting of test equipment and battery modules will be required.