Agriculture industry benefits from clean powered Plug-in Hybrid Electric technology combined with Compressed Natural Gas
MILPITAS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Efficient Drivetrains, Inc. (EDI), a global leader in advanced high-efficiency zero emissions hybrid and electric vehicle drivetrain solutions, today announced the integration of its EDI PowerDrive™ 4000 into a Class-4 General Motors Low Cab Forward platform, creating an industry-first electrified work truck for agriculture applications. The vehicle combines the benefits of a CNG Fuel system and Plug-in Hybrid technology and is geared to help agriculture fleets switch from petroleum-based liquid fuels to domestically available, cleaner burning natural gas and electricity.
The zero-emissions vehicle features a unique technology collaboration between Efficient Drivetrains and A-1 Alternative Fuel Systems, integrating the EDI PowerDrive™ Plug-in Hybrid powertrain, and the A-1 CNG Frame-Mount (FM) natural gas system into a General Motors Class-4 work truck commonly utilized by the agriculture industry. The truck will be operated in San Joaquin Valley, a 250-mile-long region susceptible to air pollution due to its bordering mountain ranges. The technology collaboration between EDI and A-1 Alternative Fuel Systems plays a critical role in helping California meet its long-term carbon reduction goals.
While in operation in San Joaquin Valley, the new vehicle provides 40+ miles of all electric, zero-emissions driving, and range extension utilizing cleaner-burning compressed natural gas, resulting in a significant elimination of particulate matter that its traditional diesel counterparts expel. Vehicle operators will experience the expected full power OEM truck performance without change to driver behavior, with the added benefit of zero-emissions driving, cleaner air for their workforce and the surrounding community, and significantly reduced fuel costs.
- The vehicle, a General Motors Class-4 Low Cab Forward truck combines the EDI PowerDrive™ 4000 Plug-in Hybrid system with a compressed natural gas system from A-1 Alternative Fuel Systems.
- The technology collaboration between EDI and A-1 Alternative Fuel Systems plays a critical role in helping California meet its long-term carbon reduction goals.
- The EDI PowerDrive™ has been durability tested over 3.8 million miles in a commercial fleet setting, and has been deployed across major North American OEMS.
- The CARB certified A-1 Alternative Fuel System includes a 24 GGE frame-mounted CNG system located on the driver’s side with integrated fuel management panel and is available in a wide array of options.
- The truck will be operated in San Joaquin Valley and delivers 40+ miles of all electric, zero-emissions driving, and cleaner-burning compressed gas for range extension, resulting in a significant elimination of particulate matter that traditional diesel trucks expel annually.
- Agriculture fleets operating electrified trucks will benefit from zero-emissions driving, cleaner-air for their workforce, and the surrounding community, and significantly reduced fuel costs.
- For vehicle manufacturers looking to quickly offer electrified solution offerings, the company offers its EDI PowerDrive™ technology in both PHEV and EV platforms as an electrification kit for OEMs, including control software and optional telematics for vehicle analytics and real-time fleet monitoring.
“Collectively, the agriculture industry in California is working proactively to improve air quality and exposure to particulate pollution from traditional diesel-based vehicles, and EDI is proud to contribute to this important initiative. Our technology collaboration with A-1 Alternative Fuel Systems, combines the value of electricity with cleaner burning natural gas, delivering a full-powered, zero-emission capable truck, on a vehicle platform commonly utilized by the agriculture industry. We’re looking forward to continuing to develop commercially available electrified options for the agriculture industry at large.” -Joerg Ferchau, CEO, Efficient Drivetrains, Inc.
“A-1 is proud to collaborate with EDI on this initiative to help bring yet another clean energy vehicle option to the marketplace. Combining the experience and expertise of both A-1 and EDI made this project a great success and we look forward to continuing to be at the forefront of technological advancements in the alternative fuel arena.” -Jost Gilio, Vice President, A-1 Alternative Fuel Systems
About A-1 Alternative Fuel Systems:
A-1 Alternative Fuel Systems designs, engineers, manufactures and installs CNG/LNG/LPG fuel integration systems for medium and heavy-duty vehicles. In addition to their standard product offering, A-1 Alternative Fuel Systems offers custom developed CNG tank packages that fit with a wide range of chassis dimensions and body styles, while meeting FMVSS and NFPA standards and requirements. The company is Ford Qualified Vehicle Modifier, and a NHTSA registered final stage manufacturer. In operation since 1995, the company has operations in Fresno, California, and Elkhart Indiana, and has deployed over 4,000+ vehicles with clean-burning fuel systems. Visit www.a1altfuels.com for more information.