Company deploys 120 systems in China, adds 12-meter Foton Bus to available OEM platforms
MILPITAS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Efficient Drivetrains, Inc. (EDI), a global leader in advanced high-efficiency zero emissions plug-in hybrid and electric drivetrain solutions today announced the integration of the EDI PowerDrive™ 6000 and EDI PowerSuite™ vehicle control software into three 12-meter Foton buses. The company also set a new record for most mileage driven with its EDI PowerDrive™ 6000 system, hitting over 3.1 million miles traveled since 2015.
The recent integration of the EDI PowerDrive™ 6000 system and EDI PowerSuite™ vehicle control software into the Foton platform represents the sixth major bus OEM integration of Efficient Drivetrains’ technology in China. The EDI PowerDrive 6000 was certified by the government in 2015 after undergoing significant durability testing, and the current fleet of 120 buses continues to demonstrate strong reliability and performance overall. Recently OEMs that have integrated EDI technology have reported more than 40% savings in fuel expenses, significantly reduced emissions for the community, and ROI in under 3 years.
The new fleet of Foton buses was a result of the successful deployment of 38 transit buses running in Tianshui city. The fleet operator experienced significantly improved fuel economy, reduced emissions, and ease of operations for their bus drivers. In partnership with EDI’s local integration and support partner, ENCA, EDI was able to quickly deploy its technology onto the new OEM platform. Foton will also be evaluating the drivetrain system for integration into future production quantity programs.
Adoption of plug-in hybrid and electric buses continues to see tremendous growth in the Asia Pacific region, with China leading the charge. In 2016, the country procured over 115,000 electrified buses, with projection of future sales to account for more than 20% of new bus sales over the next three years. To continue the strong trend, local cities and governing bodies are mandating emissions reductions, and offering financial subsidies to expedite adoption of e-buses. OEMs adopting buses with EDI’s electrification technology are able to rapidly bring electrified solutions to market, while taking advantage of the available government funding programs.
- The EDI PowerDrive™ has surpassed over 3.1 million miles in a commercial fleet setting of city buses deployed in rural and city routes across China and Taiwan
- Efficient Drivetrains has added to its available OEM platforms in China with the integration of the EDI PowerDrive™ 6000 drivetrain and EDI PowerSuite™ Vehicle Control software into the Foton buses
- The company currently has over 120 models of 8, 10.5, and 12 meter buses operating across Asia on major OEM platforms including Ankai, Shaanxi, Xiamen Jinlong, Yaxing Motor Coach, Master Transportation, and now Foton
- Efficient Drivetrains has long standing history in electrification of buses, with active programs running in Asia and North America, featuring its EDI PowerDrive™ 6000 and EDI PowerDrive™ 7000 series of drivetrain systems and EDI PowerSuite™ vehicle control software
- The EDI PowerDrive™ system received China government certification after undergoing durability testing in late 2015
- OEMs implementing technology from Efficient Drivetrains are able to quickly bring electrified vehicle solutions to market, while offering performance that meets or exceeds that of the traditional vehicle with the added benefits of reduced emissions and fuel consumption
- Fleet operators adopting electrified buses benefit from zero-emissions driving, clean-air for the surrounding community, and significantly reduced fuel and maintenance costs
“Electric bus adoption continues to grow exponentially in China. The country overall has taken a leadership role in procuring and mandating electric vehicle solutions for its cities. With our strong presence on major Asia OEMs, our certification of the EDI PowerDrive™ system, and the recent integration into the Foton platform, EDI is quickly becoming an emerging leader in the electrification of the mass transportation space in China.”
-Joerg Ferchau, CEO, Efficient Drivetrains, Inc.
“In China, more than 20% of new buses are now electrified. EDI’s technology continues to outperform available offerings, while also being one of the most cost effective options on the market. Our strong partnership with bus OEMs, and our local integration partners have positioned us well for continued growth.
-Taylor Yu, Head of China Development, Efficient Drivetrains, Inc.
This article also posted to Businesswire.
- Efficient Drivetrains Unveils EV School Bus Platform news release
- Efficient Drivetrains Collaborates with Master Transportation for Made-in-Taiwan e-bus news release
- Efficient Drivetrains Receives Bus Production Order for EDI PowerDrive™ 6000 news release
- Efficient Drivetrains Selected by Four Major OEMs to Rapidly Deploy Electric Buses news release
- EDI on LinkedIn
- EDI on Facebook
- EDI Vehicle Project Videos