San Diego Port Tenants Association $8.2M Port Project reduces emissions and noise.
MILPITAS, Calif.-- July 19, 2016-- Efficient Drivetrains, Inc. (EDI), a global leader in advanced high-efficiency zero emissions hybrid and electric drivetrain solutions, today announced that it was selected as the drivetrain provider and vehicle integrator for an electrification program driven by the San Diego Port Tenants Association (SDPTA).
As part of the program, EDI will be creating a series of EV port trucks, and electrifying forklift vehicle accessories. The electrified port trucks will be used to replace conventional fuel vehicles of the same specifications with 100% emissions reduction, while still maintaining the same power and performance. Electrification of the forklift will eradicate emissions by eliminating engine idling while performing standard vehicle operations in the port. The initiative will be jointly funded by the California Energy Commission through a $5.9M grant, with the balance being matched via $2.3M cash and in-kind contributions from the seven partner tenants of the SDPTA: Cemex, Continental Maritime, Dole Food Company, Harborside Refrigerated Services and Cold Storage, Marine Group Boatworks, Pasha Group, and Terminalift.
The project comes on the heels of EDI’s successful completion of a port project for the world’s busiest container port in Shanghai, China last spring. The company built a PHEV port truck for Shaanxi Automotive, capable of operating at 99,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW), and included electrification of the HVAC vehicle accessories to eliminate engine idling.
- Efficient drivetrains is creating electrified port trucks, capable of performing at full-OEM performance, including electrified vehicle accessories—including air conditioning and heating-allowing the use of accessories for driver comfort without idling the engine
- The EV port trucks will provide-all-electric zero emissions driving capabilities, and will be used to replace conventional, diesel-burning fuel vehicles
- Electrification of the forklift and accessories will completely eliminate engine idle as the vehicle operates its typical job site operations
- The program ties into the Port of San Diego’s 2013 climate action plan, focused on improving air quality in the Port of San Diego and surrounding communities
- The Port of San Diego is one of America’s top 30 U.S. containership ports, and processes over half a million vehicles as part of its core operations annually
“The port industry as a whole is aggressively working to reduce vehicle emissions and improve air quality. We are excited to work with the San Diego Port Tenant’s Association and California Energy Commission to expand our work on heavy-duty zero emissions trucks into other geographies and locations. At EDI, we will continue to help the medium and heavy duty vehicle industry and government agencies meet their urgently needed emissions reduction goals.”
-Joerg Ferchau, CEO, Efficient Drivetrains, Inc.
SDPTA Press Announcement: San Diego Port
EDI Press Release: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150824005630/en/ADDING-MULTIMEDIA-Efficient-Drivetrains-Delivers-Zero-Emissions
EDI vehicle solutions: https://efficientdrivetrains.com/solutions.html
EDI on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/efficient-drivetrains
EDI on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/efficientdrivetrains